Monday, March 5, 2012

Soul Mates: Music and Food

Jeff Jam Sing Song Show Christmas 2011
Besides food, music is my other passion.  Although this blog is mainly about food related subjects, I would also like to incorporate posts about my musical life.

Similar to food, music can be Fresh, Local, Sustainable, and Delicious.  I've found there are many ties between the two.  Have you ever noticed that musically oriented people also love cooking and eat fine cuisine? Or that many of your favorite memories involve a nice dinner and concert. Both require creativity, passion, and commitment.

I grew up in a very musically inclined family who also shared a love for good cuisine. My parents made an effort every night to give my sister and I a home cooked meal even though they both had their own careers.

Some of my earliest memories are of my mother  singing me to sleep or my dad showing me how to blow his trumpet and strum his guitar. A family gathering with the Schaeffers always meant home cooked Jewish food and the Daggers, whole family sing-a-longs, jam sessions, and cooking. It is no surprise I fell in love with music and food at such a young age.

Summer 2007
Since I can remember, it has been an internal struggle to decide over which I am most passionate.  During high school, while I was heavily involved in various ensembles and weekly flute lessons, I also began my career in the food business.  Music has always been the medium I study while food has made for a good professional career.  

Goucher Senior Recital 2008
Food and music compliment each other, like soul mates, and I could never be happy with one missing from my life.
   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment