Friday, March 2, 2012

Restaurant Row: Danish Pastry House

Raison Bran Muffin
Friday has always been the weekday that I look forward to the most, even when I was working as a baker and ALWAYS  worked on Friday.  I used to curse the early morning radio hosts for saying TGIF and my friends for relaxing, finished with their long weeks.  In most cases... my week was just beginning.  I am happy to say those days are over.

Since ending my baking career, I have made a considerable effort to take this day and weekends off from work.  This simple act has improved my life.  Simply put, Friday is my treat to myself and this is why I spend every Friday morning at Danish Pastry House.

I originally discovered this spectacular bakery two years ago when I volunteered for a Hosteling International fundraiser where I met Kathleen Flahive, co-owner.  Kathleen is a huge supporter of the local food community in Boston.  I have seen her donate pastries to fundraisers for Mass Farmers Markets, Hosteling International, and Danish Pastry House is a vendor at many farmers markets in the Boston area.

Morning Glory Muffin
Besides supporting local food, Danish Pastry House serves the best pastries and baked goods in the area (believe me, I don't compliment bakeries very often).  This is the only bakery where you can buy authentic Scandinavian bread in Boston.  They also offer a wide variety of special occasion cakes that never fail to take my breath away with their beauty and deliciousness.  Of course, I don't buy these things every Friday.  Danish Pastry House also offers a variety of freshly baked muffins, scones, small pastries, and lunch items.  Their sandwiches are served on home made bread and, for weekend brunch, crepes are made to order.  

The atmosphere is just right for a small cafe.  My ideal morning is sitting down with my book, a cup of coffee, and a Morning Glory Muffin.  I have also tried their Bran and Pumpkin Muffins, all of which are perfectly moist and sweet.  

Danish Pastry House wins over my stomach any day of the week.... especially Fridays!  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment